
Addition to a heritage home
Category I building, Westmount

The original house is known to have been designed in 1928 by architect Norton Alexander Fellowes for his father and builder John Baker Fellowes. From the street the building reads as a single volume with stone walls and a steeply pitched roof framed with two chimneys at either side, one of which is functional and one decorative. At the back the house contains a secondary lower volume set at a right
angle which is built with the same materials but simpler details.
The house has undergone some changes over the years with the most apparent being the addition of a brick volume at the South-West corner by the second owner of the house in 1947. This volume and its fenestration has in turn been modified and a new deck terrace has been constructed at some later time.
The current owners of the house wished to construct a new addition to the house,
in place of the one that was constructed in 1947, to meet the needs of their growing family, as they were expecting a fourth child and were caring for their elderly parents who have moved in with them permanently.
Model of the existing situation

Model of the surrounding context
Evolution of Concept
Volumetric Study



Original volume
dating from 1928
Existing volume
with the addition dating from 1947
Proposed volume
Submitted to the CCU
We were lucky to have found a stack of spare original roof tiles in the garage of the house, with the manufacture’s stamp on the rear side, indicating this to be a terra cotta clay tile produced by Ludowici Celadon Co. - which still exists! The manufacturer sent us a series of tiles made of different clay which allowed us to identify the one that best matched the existing roof for the required repairs. Roof work was required in order to enlarge the existing dormer to accommodate a new French door in place of the small window on the rear elevation and, given the age of the house, the valleys and flashings around the chimneys needed to be replaced.



Sample of coloured granite
from quarry in Brownsburg, Québec